Follow me @mformley1920

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What You Talkin' Bout Jesus? - 12/4/13

I wrote a post last night, but I’m not uploading it, as it was more of a remedy to the mind-arrhea that was happening yesterday. It was like my mind had imploded and the staff in my brain were trying to put it all back together.

What brought this on? None of your business LOL! It just made two things explicitly clear – 1) The word of God from Pastor’s 11/24/13 sermon is still out here kicking butt and taking names and 2) God is DEFINITELY up to something!

Pastor and I had talked about how this restlessness that I’ve been feeling lately is normal before a call. I’m still not sure what that is, but I’m wondering if there is a spiritual gift attached with it….

It strikes me that this writing thing is so necessary for my life because it helps me process! When I process new information that fits within the context, I process it just fine. I might only lag behind like 10-15 seconds. But when I hear/see something new and unexpected? I immediately respond, but it’s very kneejerk. I haven’t actually figured out what I’ve heard or read. I need to just start saying, “Hold on. Gimme 2 minutes and I’ll get right back to you.” Because I literally can’t even process the information, figure out how I feel about it, and then respond quickly. Now, as humans do, I have learned to pretend that I get it. It’s only afterward, that I start trying to break it down into what I heard or saw, the external non-verbal cues that may have come along with it, and then how I feel about it.   

In the context of work, when we wear our business analyst hats, this particular skill usually leads to me being the one who finds an issue that was previously overlooked. It’s real life application though? I’ve never been sure. Other than, if God had given me a quick processor to go with this tongue, my life would surely be worse off. In middle/high school, I always wanted to have the witty retort, the oooh snap snap response… smh, I’m  the one who plays the conversation over and over again until I come up with the perfect response and by then it’s like 2 hours later, and I’m like man, why didn’t I say that??

This morning, I’m going to dig into the Word and see if I can find the scripture about spiritual gifts.

Romans 12:6-8
“We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.”

1 Corinthians 12:4-11
“There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these re the work of one and the same Spirit, and He gives them to each one, just as He determines.”

I Corinthians 14:1, 3,4b,12b
“Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy…” “…everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort…” “… he who prophesies edifies the church…” “Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.”

Mmm, I’m not sure I’ve ever encountered that one before, where Paul is saying speaking in tongues is great, but it doesn’t help everybody. Prophecy helps everyone and I would rather you all have that gift….

1 Peter 4:10-11a
“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in it’s various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praises through Jesus Christ.”

As I end this post, I don’t think I’m any closer to an answer, but the scriptural foundation has been laid. No matter what gifts I currently have and those that are in the works, I need to use them to the glory of God.

--BlueLady

Today's Song:
No One Else by Kurt Carr


Lyrics:

Every man must use the gift he's given
Every man must do the will of God
You were created for a reason and chosen for a season
So never feel your gift is just too small
Never feel that what you have is least of all


(Chorus)
For no one else can preach your sermon
No one else can sing your song
No one else could ever do what God has chosen you to do
Your gift was given from above
A blessing from the Father's love
So use your gift to the glory of God


No one God created is quite like you
No one earth is quite the same
In the body of Christ there's a need for your life
There's a work, there's an assignment just for you
There's a purpose for that gift that lies in you


(Repeat Chorus)

Never feel like you're not good enough
Never feel your gifts are too small


(Repeat Chorus)

I'll go, I'll go Lord for You glory
I'll sing, I'll sing Lord for Your glory
Use me, use me Lord for Your glory
Testify, testify Lord for Your glory

No comments:

Post a Comment