Follow me @mformley1920

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Meditation: I Want to Be Holy! - 12/3/13

When I was younger, I used to sit on the porch whenever I wanted to think and it was so peaceful to commune with God in the outdoors. Yesterday, being car-less (by choice) and phone-less (not by choice), I joked that it felt like the 90s all over again – me on a bus, no cell phone, no internet in the palm of your hand, etc. This created an interesting phenomenon of quiet and meditation. As I walked home from the bus stop after work, I actually enjoyed myself and it reminded me of those good times on the porch. It occurred to me that this time of phonelessness could be by design so that I could spend some more in-depth time talking to God. I could have easily walked in my house and continued my meditation time. I could even have finished cleaning my living room and putting up my Christmas tree. So many productive and good things I could have done…
 
 I didn’t.
 
Instead, I finished my book on my Kindle PC app. I watched DVDs. I did all kinds of unnecessary stuff.
 
This morning, I feel guilty for squandering my time with the Lord. So, I started reading about forgiveness. I found a passage in Psalms and expanded it.
 
Psalm 19:7-14

“The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul.

The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart.

The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes.

The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever.

The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous.

They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.

Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then I will be blameless, innocent of great transgression. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.”
 
So poetic, yet basic and simple. I love the book of Psalms.
 
1 Corinthians 6:9-12

“Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God. Do not be deceived. Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greed nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And this is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. ‘Everything is permissible for me’ – but not everything is beneficial. ‘Everything is permissible for me’ – but I will not be mastered by anything…”
 
Just when we were feeling all flowery and good, here comes Paul, reminding the believers in Corinth that they need to get themselves together! There’s a lot in here. I’m just a scribe, being transparent (yet purposefully vague) about my struggles. Take from it what you will. It’s so easy to get caught up in the lie of permissible sin. “God I know I’m not supposed to do this, but I’m going to.” And it’s a daily (sometimes hourly) struggle that we have to fight.
 
1 Corinthians 6:19

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.”
 
Ouch! This Word is hurting this morning.
And it makes perfect sense. How or why would the Spirit dwell within an unholy place? Just like there’s a custodian to keep the physical church building clean, we need to be custodians for our body and keep that clean too. Then those addictive sins, you know the ones that can be okay in moderation or within the law, but not okay if you cross that line (i.e. alcohol, sex, food, etc)? Whew, those are the hardest ones. Lord, have mercy on us! I’m out of words. It’s time to pray and seek God’s help.
 
Lord, I want to be holy. While many may falsely view me as “good”, we both know that I’m human like everyone else. Please forgive me for the sins I knowingly AND unknowingly commit. Help me to stop committing them. Take away the power they have over me. Thank you for your grace and mercy that covers me and my sins. You are awesome God and you amaze me daily with your love. Thank you for loving even me! Amen
 
Today’s hymn - I Am Thine O Lord/Draw Me Nearer
 
I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
And it told Thy love to me;
But I long to rise in the arms of faith
And be closer drawn to Thee.
 
Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To the cross where Thou hast died.
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To Thy precious, bleeding side.
 
Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord,
By the power of grace divine;
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope,
And my will be lost in Thine.
 
O the pure delight of a single hour
That before Thy throne I spend,
When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God
I commune as friend with friend!
 
There are depths of love that I cannot know
Till I cross the narrow sea;
There are heights of joy that I may not reach
Till I rest in peace with Thee.
 

Hugs, kisses, and Neosporin for everybody! This word was out here slicing and dicing this a.m.
 
-BlueLady

No comments:

Post a Comment