Follow me @mformley1920

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Honesty, Transparency, God Sees Us! - 11/26/13

Last week, while I was driving somewhere, I started thinking about possible blog topics, almost like a confessional series about things that people probably don’t know or don’t realize about me, such as how self-centered I am or what worries I have... but then I thought nah because while this blog is about me, it’s really about God’s work in me and that should be my focus, not me. Then, my Pastor preached on Sunday from the book of Ezekiel, Chapter 8, verses 1-13. I’m not going to transcribe it here, but the essence is this – there’s a hole in the wall of the temple that reveals the secret doorway to the room where people who are supposed to be holy are doing things they have no business doing in secret, but God sees it and it is detestable to Him! As she preached, I just shook my head because wow, confession is admitting what was done in secret. So, this confessional series is probably right on track, but what I wanted to confess (the easy, surface stuff) is probably not what I need to confess… Whoo! I’m not even ready for this confessional series, but it’s probably coming soon. So, in the meantime (and given the fact that my time was limited this morning), I’m going to put in my virtual crockpot and let it stew. So far, it’s got the base ingredient in it – Pastor’s word from Sunday. Let’s see what other scriptures I can find about transparency, honesty, secrecy in the Word…

Proverbs 12:17 “A truthful witness gives honest testimony, but a false witness tells lies.” 

Psalm 44:20-21 “If we had forgotten the name of our God or spread out our hands to a foreign god, would not God have discovered it, since He knows the secrets of the heart?” 

Psalm 51 (all of it!) 51:3-6 “For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.” 

1 John 1:5b—8 “…God is light; in Him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with Him yet walk in the darkness, we life and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.” 

Luke 12:2-3 There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the intter rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs.” 

 Yikes, help me Holy Spirit. As I add these words to the crockpot, Lord, stir the pot and keep it hot in my heart until it's time to served. In Jesus’ name, Amen

Had to leave you a song (of course) Walk in the Light (1987) – an old hymn that Aretha did in 1987.
 It starts around 0:50 Enjoy!
 
Here’s the lyrics:
Walk in the light, beautiful light, come where the dewdrops of mercy shine bright.
Oh shine all around us by day and by night, Jesus is, Jesus is the light of the world;
Oh we shall walk in the light, beautiful light, come where the dewdrops of mercy shine bright.
Oh shine all around us by day and by night, Jesus is , Jesus is the light of the world;

Verse 1:
No need to worry, no need to fret, all of my needs, the man named Jesus has met. His love protects me from hurt and from harm, Jesus is, Jesus is the light of the world.

Verse 2: If the gospel be hid, it's hid from the lost, my Jesus is waiting to look past your faults. Arise and shine, your light has come, Jesus is, I know that He is the only light of this world.

Vamp:
Sopranos: Jesus is the light, light of the world.
Tenors: Jesus is the light, light of the world.
Altos: Jesus is the light, light of the world.
All: He's ever shining in my soul.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Maryn!! Always bringing it home! What a word Pastor gave us on Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete